In concordance with recommendations from Governor Ivey, as a precautionary measure to limit the potential for continuous spread of the virus, the Library has chosen to remain closed to the public until further notice. However, the Dothan Houston County Library System remains committed to providing Dothan and Houston County residents access to information, especially in times of a crisis. On April 28, 2020, in an effort to support high-risk individuals, schools, and families working from home, the Executive Committee of the DHCLS Library Board of Trustees approved the introduction of Curbside Pickup at all three branches of the Dothan Houston County Library System, including the Bookmobile. The Library reserves the right to cancel, change, or limit any aspect of Curbside Pickup at any time.
To support social distancing efforts, effective Monday, May 4, 2020, the Dothan Houston County Library System will introduce Curbside Pickup for all patrons. In order to use Curbside Pickup, patrons will log into their library account and place requested items on hold. Patrons may also call the Library and make a request over the phone.
- Patrons will receive notification via phone call, text (Shoutbomb), or email informing them their holds are available for pickup. Library staff will call all patrons when their holds are available. When placing a hold, patrons will need to select a location for pickup. After notification has been sent, patrons may call the Library to ensure holds are available and ready for pick up.
- Curbside Pickup will be available from 11:00-5:00pm Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at all DHCLS locations. No services will be available on the weekends.
- The Library will designate curbside parking spots for pickup along with identifying signage displaying the Library’s phone number.
- Once outside of the library, patrons will park in the designated parking spots and call the Library. A staff member will deliver materials to their vehicles. We ask that patrons remain in their vehicles and do not approach staff.
- Requests for materials placed after 4:00pm will be available the next curbside day. Additionally, requests for materials from another branch will also be available the next curbside day.
- Transit will run between all three locations on all three curbside days.
- All library materials, including Subject-in-a-Box kits, Library of Things items, and hotspots will be available for curbside service.
- The Library will hold materials for two curbside days.
- Curbside holds will be stored in the board room at the Main Library and a study room at the Westgate Branch.
Effective Tuesday, May 5, 2020, the Bookmobile will resume its regular schedule (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays). All patrons are encouraged to place holds to be picked up at the Bookmobile. Patrons may return items; pickup holds or check out items available on the Bookmobile. No patrons will be allowed on the Bookmobile.
- Patrons will be served through the passenger side window.
- All returned items will be sanitized and placed in a 72-hour hold before shelving.
- The Bookmobile will encourage social distancing by placing orange cones six feet apart and allowing no more than one patron at the window at a time.
- Please visit the Bookmobile page for full Bookmobile Schedule
- Patrons may request books by logging into their library account, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling or texting the Bookmobile at: (334) 791-0160.
CURBSIDE PICKUP FAQs
When can I pickup my items?
Once notified that your items are available, Curbside Pickup will be available from 11:00-5:00pm Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at all DHCLS locations. Once outside of the library, patrons will park in the designated parking spots and call the Library. A staff member will deliver their materials to their vehicles.
Who can use Curbside Pickup?
Curbside Pickup will be available for current DHCLS library card holders whose account is in good standing. For the safety of our staff, we kindly request that fines/fees are paid online and separately from the curbside service. We will not be able to process payments at curbside.
Who can pickup my items?
Patrons must present their physical library card in order to pick up their holds. Library staff will not release items to those who do not present their DHCLS library card. Patrons with digital library cards are not eligible for curbside service.
Can I return items at the Curbside Pickup?
All book drops will remain open and we kindly request that patrons utilize them to return their materials. Staff will not accept returns in curbside pickup, except for items too large to fit inside book drops. All items will be placed in quarantine for 72 hours before being placed back on shelves. Please allow 72 hours before your account is updated.
What if I don’t have a card?
The Library will issue new library cards to patrons, but proof of residency will be required. Patrons who need library cards must call the Library first and make arrangements.
How many items can I checkout?
A maximum of 40 items may be checked out on a single library card at one time. An item cannot be renewed if another patron has placed a hold on that same item. There is a 5-item checkout limit on 7-day books, DVDs, and audiobooks and a 2-item checkout limit on Subject-in-a-Box kits.
Can I make a copy/send a fax/have a document notarized/apply for a passport?
Due to the ongoing CDC’s recommended social distancing policy, we are unable to provide these services at this time.
How does Curbside Pickup work?
- Reserve your items online at dhcls.org/catalog, or over the phone (334-793-9767). You may begin placing items online today for pickup on Monday. Phone reservations begins on Monday, May 4, 2020 at 11:00am. If reserving items over the phone, please have your library card ready.
- Once your items become available you will be notified via phone call. You may pick them up during curbside hours from 11:00-5:00pm Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at all DHCLS locations. Prior to arrival, patrons may call the Library to ensure holds are available and ready for pick up.
- Once outside of the Library, patrons will park in the designated parking spots and call the Library. A staff member will deliver materials to their vehicles. You must present your physical library card before receiving your materials. We ask that patrons remain in their vehicles.
When are my items due?
Usual time-frames apply. Please check your receipt for exact dates.
What safety precautions is the Library taking?
All staff members will wear a face mask, gloves, and will practice social distancing from the public during Curbside Pickup. All items checked in during this time will be placed in a 72-hour quarantine before being placed back on shelves.
Do you allow walk-ups?
Yes, walkups will be handled by the Library staff on a case-by-case basis. See signage on the front door.
Are you accepting donations?
For donations, please email: email@example.com or call (334) 796-1594. Please do not put donations into the book drop.